Free $50 at Pokerstars

Monday, February 11, 2008

One token gone and one to play for

As previously in the last post by the pro I have been running sick bad in poker yet keep coming back for more punishment! Before he left to go back to Vegas I had Aces cracked 6 times in 2 days and he witnessed at least 4 of them.

Yesterday I didn't blow money like it says in his post. I spent $13.20 on trying to win tokens to play $26 events, in which I was successful both times. And while chatting to Dave on msn I looked at any $26 events going on and it just so happened to be a pot limit Omaha Hi $26 event registering with 10min before the start.

I immediately clicked on the register button using one of the $26 tokens and played. I rate myself a better Holdem player than Omaha, but its a game I enjoy and love to play. Whilst in Las Vegas last year covering the WSOP with Dave and the rest of the pokernews crew I played mostly Holdem but every chance Omaha was up I would give it a crack (especially at Binion's - who also ran a nice H.O.R.S.E cash game).

The start of the event couldn't of been any better having nice hands, hitting and getting paid the maximum for them. I got into an absolute monster during the third level of blinds when I ran into the chip leader (on my table and the tournament). I flopped the small end of the straight with a Queen high flush draw so I bet the pot and he raised me! So I thought maybe he has a set or the same straight but I had a re-draw and was willing to go broke on this hand. Before taking just enough time, I re-pot him and he immediately came over the top to put me all in. Already having thought about this exact situation when I re-pot him I instantly called and he showed blank blank top set! I was ahead with the straight and my re-draw flush was good if it hit! The boardblanked out and my straight held up to take the biggest pot of the tournament at the time and lift me to second in chips of the tournament. Thats when it went all wrong!

I have never been in a position like this and normally am at the other side of the stick struggling to stay alive and trying not to be blinded out. I played pretty tight and got all my chips in a few times with draws against a set like the previous paragraph but this time it was opposite. He would either fill up or make quads (which happened twice in 7 hands). I played ok till a lapse in concerntration against a stack similar to me ended my tournament out of the money!

Nothing to show for, but keep plucking away hoping to hit the right notes soon for one big cash....

No comments: